A few years ago, I saw a recipe for My Mom’s English Muffin Bread while searching for a bread recipe to go with a “company’s coming” breakfast menu. The recipe sounded so good that I changed my menu to go with the bread. How could I not try a recipe named, My Mom’s English Muffin Bread? The bread was a huge hit. I have been making it, eating it and giving it away, ever since.
I found the recipe on One Good Thing by Jillee. She was gracious enough to allow me to post it here. I have copied her recipe, exactly as she posted it, including her note on using regular yeast. I have also listed some of the things I have learned after making this bread many times.
My observations about this recipe:
- You must use full sized loaf pans or the batter will rise and spill over the sides of the pan.
- A packet of yeast is equal to 2 1/4 tsp. of powdered yeast. I buy SAF Instant Yeast, in a 1 pound bag and keep it in the freezer.
- This is moist bread. If you don’t use it within a few days it will get moldy. We have never had a loaf last long enough to get moldy but I have heard that it will happen.
- You don’t need a mixer to make this bread. A large bowl and a wooden spoon will work well.
- I have successfully made a 1/2 recipe.
- 5 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 packages RAPID RISE yeast
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 11 cups flour
(Update: You can use regular yeast, but you will need to let is rise TWICE. Once in the bowl, til it reaches the top…and then again in the pans, til it reaches the top. With the RAPID RISE you only need to let it rise once in the pans.)
Mix altogether, then spoon into (4) well greased loaf pans. Let rise in pans until dough reaches the top of the pans, and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown. (My oven runs a little hot so I ended up cooking mine for a total of 35 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. You’re looking for golden brown.) 10 minutes before done, brush with melted butter. Makes 4 loaves. Bread will be moist at first. Allow to COOL COMPLETELY before cutting. Makes terrific toast.